As a young man Joseph Stanislas Gruaud was the owner of the Ténac, Sartaignac and Merle Crus in the 18th century. He united them in 1757 under the name of “Fonbedeau”, also called « Gruaud ». A legend was born…
He died in 1771 and left the property that he had looked so well after to Monsieur de Larose. In 1781, the name of the new owner was added to that of its predecessor. The Cru then became «Gruaud Larose”.
On November 28th 1795, Monsieur de Larose died. Messrs Balguerie, Sarget and Verdonnet became the new owners. In 1865, the undivided estate was shared between the heirs Balguerie and Sarget. This generated two crus: Gruaud Larose-Bethmann and Gruaud Larose-Sarget.
In 1917, Désiré Cordier bought the Sarget family's share. Then, several years before the start of the Second World War, he also acquired the Bethmann family’s share. On November 8th 1935, Désiré Cordier, owner of Gruaud Larose-Sarget, took the opportunity to unite the estate by buying Gruaud Larose-Faure. Thus reconstituted, the estate covered 137 hectares whereof 68 under vines.
The Suez Company bought the Cordier empire in 1983 and became de facto owner of Gruaud Larose.
Ten years later, in 1993, Gruaud Larose was sold to the industrial group Alcatel-Alsthom.In 1997, the Merlaut family, already owners of several Medoc cru estates, bought Gruaud Larose.